Thursday, October 2, 2014

Butter Rice

























Before you judge me, please note I saw this dish on a popular japanese cooking drama in which the entire episode revolved around this dish.  I've had egg, rice, and soy sauce hundreds of times in my life, but never just rice, butter, and soy sauce.  If someone had suggested this to me before watching that japanese cooking drama, I would have probably thought they were joking, but after watching the episode, I decided to give this a shot and was definitely impressed.  The taste is simple, clean, and surprisingly satisfying.


ingredients:
1.  1 small bowl of hot rice
2.  1 TBL high quality unsalted butter (preferably european butter)
3.  1-2 tsp soy sauce.


recipe:
1.  Spoon hot rice into a small bowl.  Place 1 TBL butter on top.  Sandwich the butter in between the rice for 30 seconds until it melts completely.
2.  Pour 1 tsp of soy sauce into the rice and give a good mix.  Taste.  You want the rice to be noticeably salty but in no way too salty.  I found that if you go light on the soy sauce the rice tends to be bland.  Add a few more drops of soy sauce if needed, mix, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment