Thursday, October 3, 2013

More Bento

























Just another box I put together with what I found in the fridge plus some sauteing.  It took me 15 minutes to put together.  To be fair, I am korean and have access to various different types of kimchee and pickled vegetables 365 days a year, so it is a bit unfair of me to be displaying this and proclaiming the ease at which I assembled it.  That being said, this IS what bento is supposed to be: Putting a quick meal together with what you have on hand in a healthy and attractive manner, so that is what I did.  Read more for the specific items.

Top box:
On the left is just white rice topped with noritama furikake that I made earlier in the week.

The top middle is a korean pickled leaf called genip.  In my opinion, good genip with just white rice is one of the best possible foods in all of korean cuisine.  And just my luck, this was homemade by a family friend and was probably the best genip I've ever had.  I wish I could give you a recipe but there are only a few korean dishes I know how to make.  It can be found refrigerated in any korean market.

The bottom middle are just mini sausage octopus.  You can't see the tentacles unfortunately. :-(

On the right are pickled whole peppers.  These things are delicious and again can be found at korean markets.


Bottom box:
On the lower left is left over korean style sweet and spicey pork belly.  I don't know how to make this unfortunately.  This can usually be found in korean markets marinating so that you can just bring it home and cook it.

The top left is just an apple that I cut a design on.  I would not recommend cutting it in this manner.  The skin just kind of comes off whole as you eat it.  Just cut those ears on one side of the apple.

The bottom middle are just orange slices I segmented.  Learn to segment oranges, its a lot easier than peeling and separating by hand.

Bottom right is just left over potato salad.

Upper right are chicken thigh pieces in the super quick balsamic, honey, and siracha sauce that I mentioned in the first bento post.

No comments:

Post a Comment